Monday, June 8, 2009

Handwashing in Alabama



This week we have traveled to Gulf Shores, Alabama to enjoy some rest and relaxation at the beach. Gulf Shores is called the "Redneck Riviera" for good reason. I love it down here but it always provides me with things to ponder. This week is providing lots of little topics to explore in the blogging world.




The first is the topic of hand washing. On the trip down, we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. While in the restroom, my son saw a boy around the age of 6-7 years old using the restroom. The little boy's father stood watching as he finished his business. The little boy started to head over to the sink to wash his hands. That is when my son heard the father exclaim, "You are not prepping for surgery boy, let's go eat."

4 comments:

Christopher Joiner said...

That makes me laugh. You might want to carry some hand sanitizer with you to offer to folks who appear to need it.

Having spent a few summers in Gulf Shores when we lived in Alabama, I know exactly what you mean.

C. GARRY COLLINS, O.D. said...

Chris, I am pretty sure the father was wearing a University of Alabama shirt similar to yours.

Christopher Joiner said...

Oh, I wish you had said that in your blog. He clearly didn't need for his son to wash his hands, since all things Crimson are naturally clean...

Unknown said...

Scary!! I have a tip if you are worried about H1N1. I tried this great program with my kids called Germy Wormy Germ Smart. It teaches proper handwashing techniques, how germs spread and how to NOT spread germs. It was so much fun and really amazing how quickly my kids learned healthier hygiene habits!