Friday, June 25, 2010

Wine and Beer at Starbucks...Will It Be In A Cup?

Starbucks is going to take a shot at selling wine and beer. I have to admit that I am intrigued by this. On a recent trip to Paris and Rome, I could not help but observe that the coffee shops all sold wine and beer. Most sold lunches and some of the most delightful desserts on the planet. I could not help but wonder if and when American shops would follow. I love the taste of coffee that has not been tainted by a paper cup and desserts on glass plates.

It's official Starbucks is now getting in on the beer and wine business. I am, however, skeptical that it will succeed. Not because the good people of America don't want alcohol at our coffee shops. In other countries, coffee shops still serve the customer. Waiters and waitresses bring your order to your table and actually converse with you, the customer. In other countries, they serve the coffees in glass cups and give you a good old fashioned glass plate with your lunch or dessert. You will not find paper cups to taint the coffee taste or desserts in a little sack with a napkin like in America. Beers and wines are served in a glass as well.

While I am sure Starbucks has good intentions with this experiment, I can not help but wonder if they will serve the beer in a bottle or better yet, a plastic cup. As I sit at some Starbucks in the near future, I can almost hear my name being called now, "Garry" "Cup of Cabernet" as I walk to the counter to pick up red wine in a plastic cup with my name scribbled on the side. And just like that, Americans will begin their love affair with wine that has a plastic cup taste just like we have fallen for all those coffees that taste like paper cups.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another reason.... Americans have a schizophrenic view of alcohol, nudity, sex, etc.. We still have all kinds of laws on the books when alcohol can be sold (OMG not on a Sunday morning) and where (double OMG not within xxx feet of a church). Spring Hill has a LOT of storefront type starter churches which, in my opinion, is a good thing. But, when they prevent any new business from selling alcohol in a 200 foot radius, well... now that's a problem to me.

I don't have a problem with it. And I wish we reduce the drinking age to 18.

Maybe, once we grow up a bit...