Tuesday, August 4, 2009

English-My Second Language





Arkansas has it's own language and accent. As much as I try, I can't quite shake the Arkansas accent. In fact, my son makes fun of me and my accent frequently. He says that the closer I get to Arkansas, the more my native dialect (aka Arkansas English) comes out of me. He even has noticed the distinct accent when I am around friends and family from the "Natural State" as it is known.

I have decided to not fight this transformation which occurs as I travel closer to my home state. In fact I am embracing it. I am thinking that maybe those of us who are lucky enough to be from Arkansas should really get more credit in life. In fact, if Arkansas English is really a language of it's own, shouldn't those of us lucky enough to be from there get foreign language credits for English in high school and college.

1 comment:

Christopher Joiner said...

AAs the husband of an Arkansas native, I can attest to the language's distinctiveness. And that's all I'm going to say about that.