Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Joe the Plumber-Used To Be A Doctor!

I know everyone has gotten tired of Ole Joe The Plumber. I am ready for his 10 minutes of fame to end as well. I can not let it end without making a few comments. I heard President Elect Barack Obama make the comment, "How many of you know any plumbers making $250,000 per year?"

What Mr. Obama does not realize is that many small businesses pay taxes on inventory, supplies, and principal paid on loans. So there are many individuals in small business that make $250,000 on their tax returns but take home middle class salaries. One can not pay bills with plumbing pipe, toilets, sinks, and water heaters but one can certainly be taxed on them.

Many of you know my twin is a pediatrician. What you may or may not know is he is not much of a handyman. A few years back, he was repairing a sink and did not turn the water off coming into the house. The pipe broke off and his house began to fill with water. His wife was asleep so she did not hear the good doctor's cries for help.

When, the plumber finished all of the repairs he presented the good doctor with a bill. My brother could not believe the price and began to question the plumber about his fees. That is when the plumber responded, "I used to be a doctor before I became a plumber!"

No comments: